From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 17:38:33 -0700
Bill Pirkle ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I see the continuous drum beat as what distinguishes classical music
>(which may have some drums) from popular music which nearly always has a
>continuous drum beat - bass, snare, hihat.  (In addition to my interests in
>classical music I used to play bass and sometimes drums in a rock n' roll
>band.)

Unfortunately, you have just assigned *all* country music records
made before the late 50s to the classical camp.  Drums were verboten in
Nashville for decades, in fact the first ever Nashville recording with
drums - and it caused quite a stir at the time - was Buddy Holly's Peggy
Sue.

Same thing applies - but not for the same reason - to all the country
blues recordings:  personally I think Robert Johnson's songs and playing
are great and that he is a classic.  But classical?

Deryk Barker