From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:53:04 -0700
Denis Fodor responds to Steve Schwartz:

>>...  In 1962, Glenn Gould, who enjoyed rummaging through attics, made
>>a recording of the work with Claude Rains as the speaker -- my first
>>encounter with this curiosity....
>
>Um Gottes Willen! He should've used Boris Karloff!

Hey, I quite like Enoch Arden, particularly when the last line is omitted.
But then I still enjoy parts of Idyls of the King, particularly the
Passing of Arthur.  How's this:

   and from them rose
   A cry that shivered to the tingling stars,
   And, as it were one voice, an agony
   Of lamentation, like a wind that shrills
   All night in a waste land, where no one comes,
   Or hath come, since the making of the world.

Of course Tennyson had never heard Schoenberg.

Richard