From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:31:19 -0800
This came as quite a shock to me.  John was one of my trading buddies.
He turned up many recordings of American Music which he shared with me.
His enthusiasm and generosity were substantial and his love of American
Music was boundless.

   Obituary: John McGlinn, 55
   Tuesday (2/17) on the Playbill Arts website, Robert Simonson
   reports, 'John McGlinn, a conductor and musical archivist
   who devoted himself to finding and recording the restored
   scores of early works of the American musical theatre, was
   found dead in his apartment on Feb. 14. It's believed the
   cause of death was a heart attack. In 1987, he helped bring
   to the public's attention the incredible discovery, in a
   Seacaucus, NJ, warehouse, of the original versions of the
   scores of many Broadway shows, written by the likes of Kern
   and Gershwin. Many of these original versions had been
   presumed lost. ... Mr. McGlinn's first album was a recording
   of Gershwin overtures and dance music using their original
   orchestrations. It was released by EMI in 1987. After that,
   he made recordings of the complete scores (with original
   orchestrations) for Show Boat, Anything Goes, Brigadoon,
   Annie Get Your Gun, Kiss Me, Kate and Sitting Pretty, an
   obscure show by Jerome Kern ... The recordings were exhaustive;
   the Show Boat album was comprised of three discs and
   three-and-a-half hours of music (including cut songs,
   variants, revival music, film music and more). It is treasured
   by fans of the groundbreaking Kern-Hammerstein show, which
   is considered to be the launch of the modern American
   musical.'

Karl