From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:47:00 -0500
Ron Chaplin writes:

>Having, in the past, had a difficult time "getting into" 20th century
>music, I am pleasantly surprised that I enjoy two of the Schoenberg works:
>Pelleas un Melisande and Verklarte Nacht.  Berg and Webern are, so far,
>another story.  Berg seems more percussive and Webern more in a minor key
>than Schoenberg.

I strongly recommend the Berg Violin Concerto.  It is not as traditional
sounding as the two Schoenberg works you enjoy, but it rewards repeated
listening and is full of feeling.  It is Berg at his greatest, maybe the
Second Vienna School at its greatest.(IMHO as always!!!)

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University