From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 20:38:50 +0200
Bill Pirkle wrote:

>What does the list think of MIDI technology?

I personally can't stand it, at least in the reproduction of classical
music.  It sounds cold, artificial, tinny, and does a great disservice
to CM, IMHO.  Why listen to the Beethoven Violin Concerto performed by a
machine? So many good human performances of it!  I wish midi technicians
would think more about creating new sounds and new music with electronics
rather than mutilating the masters.

And, linking to another thread, this certainly is cheating.  There are
"performers" on the internet who claim to be instrumentalists and offer
versions of their work to the world as a real performance when in fact
it is nothing of the sort.  A note-perfect recording taken from many
performances, or takes, is one thing.  Eliminating performance altogether
is another.

David Runnion
Mallorca, Spain