From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 18:18:40 -0400
Steven Schwartz, the basis of a leaned manuscript by A.  Carlan [below],
wrote:

>After all, very few people now write in Mozart's musical language, despite
>Mozart's achievement.  The idea of waiting around for the future to justify
>taste seems futile to me.  Artists go in and out of notice all the time.
>The idea that art eventually comes to its just appreciation for all time
>is simply historically inaccurate.  We tend to think of ourselves as the
>end of the line and in possession of The Truth.

It just isn't true that music isn't being composed in Mozart's musical
language anymore.  Take this kid down the block who started piano lessons
only two months ago.  Now with the nice weather windows are open and you
can hear your neighbors doing all kinds of things.

This kid obviously hates to do his scales.  So he spins out Mozart-like
pieces for hours.  All right, they don't go much beyond K. 12.  But what
would you expect? The child ain't no Mendelssohn.  He is only in K4.
Give him a chance.  Most here agreed Welser-Most should be given a chance
at Cleveland.  But this kid certainly shows promise in his Mozart-like
ditties.  If you are interested? I will ask his mother for his name and
whether she has ever turned on the tape recorder while her little genius
was improvising.  If so, perhaps you would be interested in hearing a
sampler.

I'll tell you, compared to John Cage the boy already shows the marks of
being a prodigy.  And like my more enterprising Nielsen project, it is our
duty to keep Mozart alive as an alternative to this modern noise.  There
is enough noise on this planet now, airplanes overhead, lawnmowers, loud
weekend parties, emergency vehicle sirens, etc.

Anyone interested in forming a "Stand of for Mozart" League? Or for that
matter I can think of hundreds of great composers whose musical language
we would like to hear more of.  Some weeks ago, there was a topic on bawd
"More Elgar Please." I had to reply that that was impossible because the
man died years ago.  But how about grooming some young English boy for the
post by letting him escape for the dull ritual of playing scales trying his
hand at some rudimentary Elgar.  You never know, but the world might have
a second Elgar.

Consider Bach's sons.  While none could even walk in their father's
shadow, they and world for a while enjoyed thinking otherwise.  A little
self-deception can't hurt.  Anyway, we do it all the time in other things.
Look at how many people in puppy love think their adored is the most
beautiful thing alive until they wake up one morning, rub their eyes,
and say to themselves (if they don't want a divorce) 'it can't be.  This
isn't the one married.  Look at the beer barrel stomach or those sagging
breasts.'" But while under the spell, who won't say "hell it was great
while it lasted!" Since most of us don't last forever; only a Rolex does,
who cares.  Now that I am sure at the end of my line, you choose to tell me
that I have to consider that I am not the repository of truth.  Why didn't
you tell me sooner? Look at all the correspondence you could have saved me,
to this bawd for example, and those who had to read it!  Thanks
Johnnie-come-lately for the bad news.

A. Carlan
Still standing up for Nielsen