From:
Barry Brenesal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 12:43:41 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>A few months ago a list member clued me in to the fact that there were
>two classical music composers named Scharwenka.  The better known composer,
>Xaver (born 1850), had a few piano concertos and chamber works recorded by
>Collins and was also featured on Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concerto series.
>The other Scharwenka, Philipp, is Xaver's older brother by three years.
>Never having heard anything by Xaver, I can't compare the two.  But, MDG
>has devoted a disc to Philip of his two string quartets and a piano
>quintet.

Albeit belatedly, I came across this post.  There was, back in the LP days,
a release on Genesis of two violin sonatas, one by each of the Schwarwenka
Brothers.  (Which sounds too much like a vaudeville knife-throwing routine.
But perhaps they went by Schwarwenki en plural.) I believe it was moved to
CD, as well, along with most of that label's catalog.

Both works were very good, indeed.  I think I still prefer brother Xaver,
but Philip had his own personality, and a great deal to offer.

Barry Brenesal