From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 09:28:48 +1100
Brenten Davis asked:

>does anyone know if there is a cd collection Mozart's K1-K626, and
>where it is?

In 1991 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Mozart's death, Philips
released what they called the Mozart Edition, which I believe contains
every note he wrote.  As it happens, my favourite CD store is promoting
the various boxed sets the edition contains, most of them being 10-13 CDs,
and at about the cost of one Naxos per CD.  There are 180 CDs in all.

Apart from the obvious question of whether buying in bulk is necessarily a
good thing, other than economically, you need to remember that the pendulum
has swung somewhat even in the relatively short time since these sets were
released.  IIRC, only the rarest works were recorded especially for the
edition, and so the most recent of them are at least ten years old.  The
performers may influence you, eg the symphonies are all conducted by
Neville Marriner, whose star has faded in recent years, I think it's fair
to say.  Consider too the fact that the first 24 symphonies are rarely
recorded, and wonder why.  OTOH, such performers as the Beaux Arts Trio,
Arthur Grumiaux, Colin Davis and Mitsuko Uchida have enduring reputations,
but you won't find HIP in this set.

It occurred to me that in 2009, it'll be 200 years since Haydn's death.  Is
any record company seriously considering recording all 126 of his baryton
trios?

Richard Pennycuick