From:
Peter Wisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 10:33:38 +0200
Steve, thank you, for your excellent essay on Medtner.  I would like
to draw your attention, and the readers on the list to another excellent
recording of Mednter's pianoconcertos.  Scherbakoff on NAXOS, they come
with the quintet.  For those who are really interested, I strongly
recommend Hamelin's complete recording of the sonatas, it isn't easy
listening, you really have to dig into the music, but the rewards are
great.  In addition to Steve's favourites of the Hyperion series, let me
add my own, Marx' concerto, coupled with Korngold's lefthand one, both
not easily conquerable, and also the Hamelin Busoni.

Peter Wisse