From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 05:18:00 -0700
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have other Vox recordings that I like very much: a two-disc set of
>Haydn's keyboard concertos and sonatas; and a two-disc set of chamber
>music composed by women.

I agree with Ron.  Vox offered me a cheap and cheerful way to start
building a non core repertoire collection a few years ago.  Principal
among my early acquisitions was a 6 box (12 CD) collection of Romantic
Paino Concerti by composers of whom I knew nothing - Sindberg, von Henselt,
Hiller, d'Albert, Moscheles etc.  The twofers and threefers (like Bartok's
complete orchestral music, and Saint-Saens complete music for violin and
orchestra and cello and orchestra on two discs) at $10 and $15 were a
godsend.

Apart from this, there were recordings of music I couldn't get anywhere
else.  I have a Vox Allegretto disc, for example, of Khrennikov's Symphony
No. 2 which, apart from a single Russian CD offering of 'Napoleon
Bonaparte' is the only music I have been able to find by this composer.

Sadly, Vox has been eclipsed on the shelves by Naxos.  Whereas in the three
local stores I frequent the Naxos stock is frequently updated and changed,
the same sad Vox remainders have been there for months.  I wish it were
different, but 'market forces'.....

Tim