From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:20:05 -0500
I know this should go to the Opera list but I am not a subscriber there.
If anyone is an opera expert (or wants to forward this to someone on
the opera list), my question is: is "parlando" a recognized TYPE of
recitative, like accompagnato, obbligato, or semplice? According to the New
Harvard Dictionary of Music, it is not, but rather a performance indication
meaning "speechlike." Parlante, in addition to being a synonym for
parlando, also refers to a specific kind of 19th-century operatic music
where the orchestra is playing continuous music that could stand on its
own (e.g.  a waltz) while the voices carry on a conversational type of
recitative.  I think this happens in works like La Traviata.  My reason
for asking is I have a book that identifies "parlando" as a new type of
recitative that came in with opera buffa that features "a syllabically set,
speechlike delivery that raced along with [a machine-gun like effect]." I
think he's referring to recitativo semplice also known as secco recitative.
Any ideas here?

Chris Bonds