From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:15:25 -0500
. Alexandras Rigas on Dmitri Mitropoulos  concludes his appreciation so:
 Yes, believe it or not,
>Mitropoulos' photo does not appear anywhere in the Carnegie Hall, home
>of the NYPO during his 9-year directorship!!!.....

 I was fortunate enough to have grown up in N,Y,C, during the Mitropoulos
years. He was a wonderful conductor and very adventurous. I recall
attending a concert performance of Berg's Wozzeck - another time he did a
concert performance of Milhaud's oratorio, " Christopher Columbus". And I
am pretty sure that he conducted the premier of Rogers Session's Third
Symphony which I attended in 1950. In those days the New York Philharmonic
was broadcast live every Sunday on CBS radio, so you could hear it all even
if you weren't there.
One year M received an award from the Mahler - Bruckner Society for his
service to that cause. He was well supported in this  by Bruno Walter, who
was a guest conductor during that period.
  I share Alexandros' opinion that Mitropoulos was a major conductor who is
not given proper recognition.
 Bernard Chasan

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University