From:
Bob Yoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:40:18 PDT
I'm not a Mehta fan, but I've heard many of his recordings and seen him in
concert in Israel and in New York.  He made his fame by taking on mediocre
orchestras and turning them into world class ensembles.  His forte has
always been opera.  Karl Boehm had tremendous respect for Mehta's Wagner,
for instance.  His Puccini, especially his Turandot is wonderful.  Stick to
middle to late Romantic and you'll be fine.  In terms of Mahler, stick to
the early symphonies like 2 and 3.

Bob Yoon