From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 22:33:14 -0800
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Bach did not write parts for bass and drums, or provide details for the
>setup of a Moog synthesiser.  I do not think that either Loussier or Carlos
>did anything but honour Bach by what they did.  They unquestionably brought
>new audiences to him, and many of those have gone on to more "original"
>Bach.

Honoring Bach by playing him on the synthesizer is like honoring da Vinci
by recreating his works on an etch-a-sketch.

>If Jocelyn disputes that, then we have an irreconcilable difference, which
>IIRC is where we got to last time around.  I have great respect for her
>tenacity in defending her position, but I think it's wrong because it
>excludes so much good music-making.

Leaving aside the dubious contention that "Switched-On Bach" is "good
music-making," W. Carlos' recordings did not purport to represent actual
Bach, but those who play Bach/any-other-composer and make significant
abridgements, such as ignoring instructions to repeat a passage, do so
at the expense of the art.

-Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
Come see our web page: www.bigfoot.com/~CulverMusic