From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 15:23:29 -0500
Stirling Newberry writes:

>As long as the state of contemporary music is that the works virginity
>is worth more than the work, and I submit that the objective facts show
>that this is so - they are not going to bargain it away so cheaply simply
>because the consumer wants it easy.

But the fact is that listening helps the purchaser make a decision.
When I see a cd of music I have not heard, I either have to take a chance
or wait until I hear it somewhere, because I am not rich beyond the dreams
of avarice.  Even one sample listening would increase the chances of a
purchase from zero to something larger than zero.  Tower records and
Borders both have listening stations for a small number of selected new
releases, but that usually does not include much new music.  Composers,
when interviewed, always seem to yearn for exposure, after all.  In the
present context, it is no so much a case of making it "easy" for the
consumer (a goal which of course shocks our puritanical souls), as
educating the consumer.  So what exactly would these folks be "bargaining
away?

"Bernard Chasan" <[log in to unmask]>