From:
Rainer Hersch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:31:59 -0500
I am trying to find examples of instruments used in standard classical
music which have required special construction.  Two examples of the
sort of thing I mean are the taxi horns used in Gershwin's 'An American
in Paris' and the specially large bass drum which should be used in the
Dies Irae of the Verdi Requiem.

Are there any other such inclusions that have spawned an industry,
so to speak?  Phone up a percussion hire company, for example, mention
tuned taxi horns and they will immediately assume you are performing
'An American in Paris'.

I must stress, I am looking for instruments which occur in what might
call the standard repertoire, by which I suppose I mean pieces you are
likely to hear in the concert hall.  The John Cage Piano Concerto (1963)
directs at one point that turkeys should be let out of a coffin.  Fun,
but doesn't count.

Rainer Hersch <[log in to unmask]>