From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:55:01 -0700
Joel Hill wrote:

> To compound the problems of familiar repertoire, usually, even here in
> Tallahassee, FL, home of our world-class music school and many concert
> oppertunities, it is almost impossible to find out what is going to be
> played at these concerts.

Hear, Hear!  Not long ago Midori played with the Des Moines Symphony
Orchestra, and I am not familiar with her work, but I know that I don't
like the hall they play in anyway, so I would have thought I did not
need to hear the Brahms, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Bruch echh
concerto badly enough to bestir myself.  If I'd known she was playing
the first Shostakovich violin concerto I'd have been there like a shot,
but I didn't know that until it was over.  If the local media won't or
can't tell me what I need to know, why should I even think of buying a
ticket to a concert?

Donald Clarke