From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:52:50 PDT
Eric Kisch wrote:

>In one part, IIRC, he cites the critic/philosopher Adorno as saying
>that an artist (composer?) is responsible for the uses to which his
>art/music is put, even after his death.

That's one messed up notion.  I don't even think that an artist has this
responsibility while alive.  Artists and all others are responsible for
what they do, not what others do with their creations.

It is increasingly politically correct to attach "blame" to other than
the "primary" responsible parties.  School children kill and everyone
looks elsewhere to attach blame; a nut shoots down a family and blames
a tv show.  Something has gone drastically wrong.  Everyone is getting
on the "don't blame me for what I did" bandwagon.

Perhaps someday Hitler will be seen as a misunderstood guy who was raised
poorly even though the "warning signs" were evident.  Then, he fixated on
Wagner who wrote just the kind of music that would propel a misunderstood
man into genocide.  It's all Wagner's fault - didn't he know that someone
would do this?

Don Satz