From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:18:29 -0700
Roger Hecht responds to Don Satz:

>> I am embarking on a little review project of some recordings of Bruckner's
>> 4th and 8th Symphonies prompted by my acquisition of the EMI Gemini 2-CD
>> set conducted by Karl Tennstedt.  I have quite a few versions of each
>> work and plan to enhance my collection.  Toward that end, I'd like to
>> include versions that other list members are particularly fond of.  What
>> are your preferred recordings of each of the two symphonies?  It would
>> be good to know your reasons, but a simple listing is also fine.
>
>You'll get the usual suspects--multiple recordings of Jochum, Karajan,
>Haitink, Skrowaczewski, Schuricht (8), lots of others, but just in case
>no one mentions them, Bohm 4 for sure, 3, as well, though his 7 & 8 are
>not as good.  Also consider Solti's underrated 7th with the VPO.  Also
>check out Celibidache and Giulini (slow).  And Klemperer 4 (but not 8).

Well, I'll offer the first Jochum (1949 Hamburg) which is his only
recording of the Haas edition; Horenstein's 1954 Vox (first recording
of the Nowak) and his 1970 live Prom performance (BBC Legends), JH's
only performance of the Haas.

And of course the 1944 Furtwaengler.

>For curiosity, the "original versions" before the popular revisions of
>4 and 8 with Russel Davies or Inbal (not so much Tintner).

I'd personally take Tintner before the Inbal, even more I'd take the
old NYO Canada/Tintner Jubal LP, probably recorded just before the Inbal
too, which would make it the premiere recording.  I don't know the Russel
Davies.

Donald Satz wrote:

>I am embarking on a little review project of some recordings of Bruckner's
>4th and 8th Symphonies prompted by my acquisition of the EMI Gemini 2-CD
>set conducted by Karl Tennstedt.

BTW M. le Pedant points out that that is presumably *Klaus* Tennstedt. I
don't know his brother Karl.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>