From:
Pierre Paquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:48:07 -0500
John Dalmas wrote:

>>In an article about Bernstein and Mahler in the NY Times two Sundays
>>ago composer David Schiff wrote that Wilhelm Furtwangler never performed
>>a Mahler symphony.  I know this to be untrue recalling having read on
>>the Mahler List a while back that Furtwangler conducted M1, 2, 3 and 4
>>on several occasions in Germany and Austria between the two World Wars.
>>Unfortunately, I don't remember the source of this information.  Does
>>anyone have a clue?

Walter Meyer responded:

>If in Germany between the two world wars, it would have had to have been
>before early 1933 and if in Austria, before the Anschluss in 1938.

That's totally ridiculous.  Furtwangler did not care that much for Mahler's
music.  (Toscanini hated it.) Seem to be common sentiments.  I don't
care for it either except for the 3rd symphony, and only with the Czech
Philharmonic/Neumann recording.  I would much prefer to listen to a
Furtwangler Symphony...At least it would not be dripping over the edge with
"See how much I'm suffering?" Mahlerian sentimentalities.  Thank God I can
count myself NOT a member of the sorrow sector among music lovers which
seems to drift aimlessly and headlong towards Mahler's music for some
reason(s).

Monsieur Paquin
www.sd-associates.com