From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:04:55 PDT
Brian Blackwell wrote:

>By the way, has anyone heard the new Gardiner/ORR recording of 'Die
>Paradies and der Peri(sp?')?

I obtained the recording a couple of weeks ago.  I've just listened to it
once; I liked what I heard and the sound was superb, but I need additional
listenings to have any basis of comparison to Schumann's other works in
this genre like 'Scenes from Goethe's Faust'.  Also, I have not heard any
other versions of 'Das Paradies'.  There's one on Berlin, and I think that
Sinopoli recorded it for DG.

The one similar Schumann work I've been playing a lot lately is "Pilgrimage
of the Rose (Der Rose Pilgerfahrt)".  I find this work more immediately
appealing than the other two, although that often means that it won't have
much staying power.  Chandos, Opus 111, and Harmonia Mundi have recorded it
in recent years.

Don Satz