From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:09:17 -0400
D. Clarke writes:

>Beethoven was one of the greatest geniuses of all time in any of the
>arts; if all we had was the string quartets, we could go to a desert
>island. He wrote happy ("unbuttoned") music when his personal life was
>a turmoil, and transcendently probing music when he personally was doing
>rather well.  He should be an example to us all as a craftsman, just to
>start with; the rest is inexplicable, and cause for gratitude.

Well, I share Mr. Clarke's opinions.  In fact after hearing the Borromeo
Quartet's performance of opus 135,I am of the opinion that the one work
will do on the proverbial desert island.

Yet surely Oliver Solanet's recent revelation that Beethoven was a
xxxxxxxxx surely should give us all pause.

Bernard Chasan
hoping that all of us exiled to a desert island end up on the same island