From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 09:55:30 -0500
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Have I missed it, or has nobody mentioned Lucian Berio's magnificent
>Sinfonia?  The third movement is based on the third mvt of Mahler 2,
>with quotations from more composers than I can recall - certainly
>Beethoven's Pastoral, Strauss's Rosenkavelier, Debussy's La Mer,
>Stockhausen's Gruppen and many more.

My goodness...we certainly are opening up the door...no doubt many will
know that 3rd movement collage in the Berio is not unique.  The Rochberg
Third Symphony is based on snippets of Schutz, the Zimmermann Music for
the Suppers of King Ubu is also a collage, and his Trumpet Concerto, as
I recall features some well know jazz...which I can't remember at the
moment...and then we have the quodlibet...

I am reminded of some of the programming ideas that musicians come up
with.  A recent concert here featured the Rautavarra Cantus Articus and
the Beethoven 6th.  The tie in being the use of bird calls.

There was a wonderful book called the Musical Book of Lists.  I wonder
if this list could not publish its own.

Thoughts most welcome. Come to think of it, this could be fun.

Karl