From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:24:29 -0800
Christopher Rosevear ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I have spent the last two days listening, on and off, to Fazil Say's
>version of the Rite of Spring.  It is based around the authorised 4 hand
>piano version, but with substantial reference to the score (which version
>is not stated - but not the original 1913 version).  However, there are
>only two hands involved - Fazil Say's - and they are overdubbed, sometimes
>resulting in 8 hands.  Often, he damps the strings with fingers and other

There actually is an 8-hand version available on disc: by the Amsterdam
Piano Quartet, c/w Debussy's Jeux: very appropriate coupling indeed, as
this score was also premiered by the Ballet Russe about 2 weeks before the
Rite.  Jeux also caused a near-riot, only overshadowed by the greater one
which occurred at the premiere of the Rite.

Both are arranged by Maarten Bon, a member of the APQ.  Channel Clasics CCS
4992.

Deryk Barker