From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 11:02:45 -0700
Karl Miller asks:

>Yes, and then one can add the Bach arrangements and then the Lizst
>paraphrases...say...no doubt this has been thought of before...but does
>classical.net have some way for us to do a sort of wikipedia sort of
>thing with such lists?  I have another one I started with works which
>point to the visual arts for their inspiration...and then there is Dave
>Canfield's list of all of the arrangements of Pictures at an Exhibition,
>etc.
>
>So, it not like you have nothing to do Dave...but could such a thing be
>possible.

Not only possible, but what I've been hoping and planning for over a
decade now (Classical Net's 11th anniversary was May 1).  I've tried
to build a structure that would accommodate just about any kind of
information.  I know what I have is simple, even primitive, compared
to the Wiki concept, but I'm always willing to expand things.  As usual,
it's all about bandwidth: right now it's about all I can do to keep up
with basic maintenance and adding reviews, etc.

So, the bottom line is that I would love to house such lists at Classical
Net.  The interface now is that you send the info to me and I format it
and post it to the site.  Not as immediately gratifying as Wiki interface,
but it works.  I urge anyone who has anything concerning classical music
that they would like to share with the world, to contact me about it.

>As someone who loves to explore the repertoire, and who trades with
>many other collectors, I have often thought how great it would be if
>there would be someplace to share that sort of information...who has
>what.  I am not talking about the commercial recordings, but the odd,
>possibly somewhat unique airchecks or inhouse concert recordings people
>have.

Likewise, I can help with this.  I have the web space and server functions
(CGI/perl, SQL, etc.) that can support these sorts of activities involving
databases.  If someone would like to tackle the technical side of this
and house it at Classical Net, I would love to get involved.  And, I
know a little about collection databases myself.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/