From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:00:44 +0100
David Runnion wrote:

>Denis Fodor wrote:
>
>Ray Bayles writes:
>
>>>Classical music stations are rapidly disappearing from the United States
>>>and most other countries.
>
>>Not here in Munich.  We used to have just one classical station
>>(state-subsidized, and very good).  Now we have two (the other one
>>private-enterprise, and not bad).
>
>Not here in Spain either.  There's a national, subsidized station that is
>fairly good, and a station in Barcelona financed by the Catalan government
>that is one of the most interesting CM stations I've heard.

Not here in Milano either. There are two stations, that do pretty well.
I usually listen to these when I drive to/home from the lab and it never
happened to me that I heard someting twice (IIRC). They have a pretty mixed
music programme, from ancient up to contemporary. The only negative point
(at list from the car-radios view) is, that these stations are sort of
weak. This means depending were you are in the town some pop-stations or
some other disturbing air-sound might suddenly *pop* into the classical
broadcast.

>From my experience the situation for classical stations in Germany, France
and Switzerland is also rather good. E.g. each federal state in Germany has
at least one subsidized radio station, and often also private ones, that
run one or two classical programmes (or culture programmes, which means
they also broadcast jazz, reports about cultural events, author readings,
even programmes about scientific topics ... etc.). Thus depending were you
live you can usually choose from 2-4 culture/classical programmes. Most of
the state radio stations have also their own symphony orchastra, thus they
usually have a huge archieve of recordings they can choose from, thus it
rarely happens that you hear the same stuff. On the contrary, it happened
to me several times that I heard about some composer the first time on the
radio and got interested in their works (in my case usually contemporary
stuff).

Achim Breiling