From:
Norman Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 09:08:34 EDT
Donald Satz writes:

>Steve Schwartz wrote:
>
>My wife made me see the movie.  But I do disagree that it studies
>human nature.
>
>Agreed.  I don't think there's a study of human nature, just some
>reflections of it.  It's a very simple movie about a sophmoric and coarse
>young man, having a tremendous musical talent, who is inadvertently ruining
>the life of another guy who was the musical "toast of the town".  If you
>approach the movie as something more than that, dislike sets in quickly.

I saw Amadeus on "Broadway" twice.  The first time I saw it alone, by
myself, with a rather famous actor playing Saleiri, who's name I forget
(darn it).  The second time my envious wife made me see it again (with
both our sons).  The TV actor, David Birney (sp?) played Salerei and
surprisingly well at that.  As I said before I have 2 VHS tapes and 1 DVD
of Amadeus as well, in addition to seeing the film in the movie theater,
again with the family.  The study of human nature to which I refer to is
NOT that of Mozart, but of course, the leading role, Saleiri!  It is the
reaction of an envious and jealous composer of no mere merit, to another
having a unique endowed genius, who just turns out masterpieces at whim,
whilst he struggles to put together his simple musical thoughts.  Although
we know historical facts are distorted and bent out of shape, who in fact
does know what thoughts turned over in Salieri's mind in his reaction to
Mozart's genius.  Perhaps therein is some accuracy, and the study of human
nature to which I've referred.

Norman