From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:33:07 -0500
Mike Leghorn wrote:

>It's so easy to get away with stealing material from "classical music"
>(whatever that is) and packaging it as pop. The endemic lack of regard
>by the pop music-listening public for the origins of the music they
>listen to sets them up for these con jobs.

Sounds like turnabout is fair play:-).  Think of all the "classical"
pieces going back to the Medieval period that made use of folk or other
"popular" tunes as a basis for composition.....

>... which makes me wonder if history is an important aspect of classical
>music that is absent (relatively speaking) from many other genres. For
>example, one's "classical" CD collection may span several centuries of
>music, whereas a pop collection would span decades (if that). To express
>this in another way:
>
> classical / centuries  = pop / decades

But perhaps in a way, if classical has also obtained inspiration from
pop music of a particular time long past, then some classical works have
actually helped to preserve a bit o' pop that would otherwise have been
totally forgotten?

Bill H.