From:
Pierre Paquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:05:54 -0500
Ouch!  I still dislike Mahler's music - "See everybody!  I'm suffering
so much!  - except for the 3rd symphony in the Neumann/ Czech Phil
performance.  The balances, the straightforward approach, the fabulous
playing of the CPO, the "sonics" make this recording very special.
Solo work by C.  Ludwig is very special too.  With all these attributes
plainly in focus for any Mahler nut, I can't understand why you think it
to be your least favorite performance on CD? I would then conclude that
all of your other "in favor of" Mahler postings here are to be held
suspect.  And to those who insist (Do I hate these insistings!) on bring in
politics/religion:  His flirting with Catholicism to get the Vienna post is
the true suffering here.  It would hate to witness the sentiments were it
the other way around.

Pierre Paquin