From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 15:32:25 PDT
DP Horn responds to me:

>>Are there any other recordings by John Nelson on the market?
>
>The one that readily springs to mind, a propos Handel, is his recording
>of Handel's "Semele," DG 435 782-2.  It has an all-star cast highlighted
>by Kathleen Battle and Marilyn Horne, and like the "Alcina" production
>uses a modern-instruments orchestra in a very stylish manner.

I forgot about "Semele" which I also have on cd.  I've listened to it
only a couple of times; the modern strings, as is generally the case with
baroque works, are problematic for me.  They just sound "sour" and wrong.
I can mititgate that problem some with an equalizer, but then other aspects
get messed up.  I'll give it another try, particularly since the set was a
costly one.

Don Satz