From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:11:45 -0800
Jocelyn Wang ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> replies to me:

>>...  There are cases this century of composers declaring that they had
>>heard things they hadn't been aware of in their own compositions when
>>performed by others.
>
>Occasionally having certain aspects of some pieces brought to light by
>a certain performer is hardly an example of that performer's superior
>knowledge of the piece as a whole.

Do I hear the sound of ground shifting? Did I claim that? More to the
point, did you?

My point was that there are known instances of composers knowing less
about certain aspects of some of their compositions than some performers.

You, OTOH, seemed to be claiming that the composer always knows best.

Deryk Barker