From:
Edson Tadeu Ortolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:20:59 -0300
Steve Schwartz:

>...one might consider educating the public in two ways: giving them
familiarity with the canon (the classical Top Fifty) and broadening
interest to music outside the canon...

Yes, it is important to educate the public, since the basic school to
university.  I teach History of Music in a conservatory in my country,
Brazil, where the pop music became, in present era (from years 90), poor
and vulgar (in pornographic sense).  It is a terrible condition because
the pupils never heard a complete Beethoven symphony.  Thus I reeducate
the ear of them.  It is a hard process, but after of 3 years the musical
conscience is developmented.

Edson Ortolan