From:
David Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 18:57:14 -0700
Jeremey McMillan wrote:

>I'm just about to turn 17.  I have a friend that thinks I am really lame
>because I chose to buy a CD featuring Beethoven's "Emporer", concerto
>instead of a rap CD.

I sympathize; I have a friend who's pretty well in touch with young people
through his son, and he tells me this is often the opinion of your age
group regarding classical music.  All I can suggest is that you try to find
other young classical music lovers--I know they exist.  Your other posting
indicates that's something you're thinking about.  I'd guess there must be
classical music links to young groups on the Internet; and there's at least
one HS in NY that specializes in the arts, to say nothing of The Curtis
Institute and Juilliard; maybe someone there can direct you to the right
groups.  Once you're in college, it will be easier, I think.  In the
meantime, I suppose it can't hurt to be aware of the music of your
generation as well.  (That's something I wasn't very good at, I'm afraid.
By the time I gave a good listen to the Beatles, the group had already
split up, to my dismay.  --You DO know who the Beatles are/were, don't
you?)

Dave Wolf