From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:10:41 -0700
Eltjo Meijer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Recently I purchased in a 2nd hand CD shop a CD with performances of
>Beethoven's string quartetas Opp.  59.2 and 95 by the Orford Quartet on the
>Delos label.  I had never heard of the (Canadian) Orford Quartet and Delos
>before but the music sounds OK.  They have recorded the complete Beethoven
>cycle.  How is this group rated in North America?

The Orfords were one of the two finest Canadian quartets of their day (the
other being the Purcell).  They played together for around 20 years until
shutting up shop c1991.  I gather this was because first violinist Andrew
Dawes (now teaching at UBC) had had enough - he was with the group
throughout.  Recently arrived cellist Desmond Hoebig (now principal with,
ummm, Houston?) was apparently not amused, as he had only just left his
post as principal in Montreal for the job.

The Orford's complete Beethoven cycle is available on Delos at a quite
reasonable price and is more than "OK".  It is one of the finest such
currently available.

Deryk Barker