From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 07:36:47 -0500
Leon Le Leu wrote:

>If I can listen to the Beethoven 7th symphony for the thousandth time
>and still be moved by it why can the same thing not be allowable with
>the pathetique symphony?  Are we Tschaikovsky-lovers going to be driven
>underground and our pleasure become a secret vice such as the old medical
>textbooks used to warn about?

When I started my music studies in college, it was the mid 1960s.  It
was a time when serialism was ascending to the throne and when "serious"
music students listened only to the "pure" music of the Baroque, Classic
and avant garde (the serialists mostly).  For those of us who loved music
of the Romantic period, we formed "Tchaikovsky's Anonymous." If you had
a longing to listen to some Tchaikovsky, you could call another member
of the organization and they would try to talk you out of it.

Alas, none of us were able to beat our addiction.

Karl