From:
John Proffitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:22:42 -0500
Jim asks:

>Susan Juhl mentions the orchestral works of Anthony Scarmolin in in Naxos'
>American Music Series.
>
>I don't even know the name.  What is his music like?

Conservative and tonal.

The material on the Naxos disc is somewhat disappointing-not much of the
composer's personality comes through compared to the earlier release of his
music.  IMO, Scarmolin's best work may be heard (so far) on the New World
cd containing two of his symphonies.

The symphonies, esp.  the Third, sound like a hybrid of Franz Schmidt and
Ottorino Respighi, but with a distinctive, personal voice.

Regards,

John M. Proffitt
General Manager & C.E.O.
Radio Station KUHF-FM