From:
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 11:18:19 -0500
Stephen E. Bacher wrote:

>As this is virtually in the backyard of the church where I am music
>director, this is of particular interest to me.

I can only sigh deeply at this; the Greater Boston/Eastern Massachusetts
metropolitan (in the demographic, not operatic sense) area is home to
nearly four million people, and only two cineplex theaters totalling
possibly 800 seats were able to see fit to carry these performances
(Swansea, MA is more properly a part of the Providence, RI metropolitan
area).  It appears that I will have to go the Marlborough, MA movie house
and hope for a resale just like at the opera house, because that venue
is sold-out for "I Puritani".  You know what's sad?  Dozens of theaters
in the area have HD-TV projectors for Red Sox games in the summer...games
that are alre= ady on cable TV in analog and HD, but managers of these
facilities apparently would not take a chance on opera.

"Laurence Glavin" <[log in to unmask]>