From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:55:05 PDT
Len Fehskens wrote:

>I do not go to the BSO to hear music I have never heard before or do not
>yet like in an attempt to come to terms with it.  I can do that far more
>productively with CDs.  I go to the BSO to hear music I know and love in
>live performance, which is a qualitatively different experience from
>hearing it in my home.  And I suspect much of the rest of the BSO's
>audience feels more or less the same way.

Wonderful!  The BSO can just keep spitting out the same works that they
spit out in past years, works that Len and like-minded folks love.

I see a problem with this - it's called stagnation.  I'm not talking about
stagnation on Len's part; as he said, he can get the new works at home on
cd.  But, it's stagnation on the orchestra's part: keep playing the same
works in the same way.  That will not revive the BSO.

I liked Sterling's proposal of a HIP series and an avant-garde series.
Bring on Gardiner and Boulez!  No audience for it? There are a train-load
of HIP folks who would love it, and the avant-garde music could be
gradually entered into the orchestra's repertoire.

A Beginners series, another Sterling proposal, is also a great idea.  We
yak so much about getting new converts.  Sterling offers something to help
with this process, and Len rejects it immediately.

If I ran the zoo, I'd also max out on variety within one evening's concert.
Cost overruns? Charge the appropriate amount.  Great music performed by
great artists in a great concert hall covering a wide variety of musical
genres doesn't come cheap.  Better costs more, best costs the most.  Pass
the plate, please.

Don Satz