From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:42:38 -0700
Ulvi Yurtsever writes:

>Well, there has never been a law against duplicating Bach's
>achievements; despite that, no one has ever come close in the last
>three hundred years.  The simplest explanation would be that nobody
>knows how to do it.

Similar remarks apply to about any composer who wrote enough music to
have a discernible style.  It may not be the simplest, but the sensible
explanation is that styles change and people move on.

On the other hand, in this specific case, I daresay there have been more
than a few serviceable "Bach fugues" written over the course of the past
few decades of music education.  If I weren't banned from the next picnic
for having the audacity to view an 18th century German organist as a man of
the guild class, I might even take bets on who could tell the difference.

>Yup, if Bach doesn't do it for you, nothing else will...

"Go Team!"?

Todd McComb