From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:05:42 -0700
While I have not closely followed this thread, I have noticed that one
tact that was common to a number of posts was to attack the messenger
(Lebrecht), rather than his message (DG's decline in recent years).  If
DG is in trouble, and it seems to be, then it really does not matter if one
likes Lebrecht.  Moreover, the more alarming reality to all of this is that
classical music itself is in trouble due to the fact that we have had, at
least in the USA, nearly two generations raised without any significant
arts education in schools.  Sure, most won't "get it" even if we do teach
them, but virtually none will get it if we don't teach any of them.

Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series
www.geocities.com/Vienna/strasse/4684