From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:36:15 +0000
Norman Schwartz wrote:

>...  We should note that Salieri was no mean slouch.  None other than
>Beethoven studied vocal music with F.  Murray Abraham AND dedicated his
>op. 12 violin sonatas in a show of appreciation and perhaps acknowledgment
>to the powerful court Kappelmeister.

Salieri was no mean slouch agreed.  Also I have mentioned before that
he taught Mozart's son aspects of composition.  But, this is NOT the
impression given in the film.  There we are left in no doubt that Salieri's
work is not worth a damn and Mozart's work is everything.

At the time I saw this film I had a very open mind about Mozart and had
not even heard about Salieri.

One thing no one seems to have mentioed yet is that, although Mozart is
portrayed as THE supreme composer in the film, his personality is shown
to be highly suspect.

The film just stops short of showing Mozart frequenting brothels.  It does
show him as crass, rude, intemperate and unwashed.  Do you remember the
scene where he farts to his music?

So in this respect I would say that the film was unkind to Mozart also.

There is plenty of material in the world of fiction without us having to
be entertained by pseudo fact.

Bob Draper