From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:34:17 +1100
Larry Sherwood wrote:

>Recently, I purchased the complete string quartets of a composer who
>was then unknown to me: Daniel Jones, a lifelong friend to Dylan Thomas.

and

>I lack the time and probably the sophistication to write a
>serious review of his quartets

I own the same set and share Larry's enthusiasm for them.  Even though
I have the time, I lack the expertise to write a serious review.  Although
I managed to acquire some of Jones's symphonies in the days of LP, I
know of only one CD, a Lyrita which contains the 6th and 9th symphonies,
and a wonderful cantata, The Country Beyond the Stars.  It's available
from Harold Moores in London (http://www.hmrecords.co.uk/).  There's
also a useful article on Jones at
http://www.britishclassicalmusic.com/jones.html.

Lyrita also has CDs of music by the Welsh composers Alun Hoddinott, Grace
Williams and William Mathias.  Mathias's three symphonies on Nimbus, if
you can find them, are also very rewarding works.

Richard Pennycuick