From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 01:31:19 +0100
William Strother wrote:

>And in my opinion the intermixing of Beethoven and Freud simply muddles
>everything, and damned if I can figure out what it means (if anything).

Have you read Solomon's "Beethoven Essays", published in 1988 and a
continuation of his biography? If not, please do.  You'll stumble over
Freud on almost every page.  The most amazing essay is the essay devoted
to Beethoven's dreams, though, also a flabbergasting one, is his attempt
to "explain" Beethoven's deafness, connecting it to Beethoven's fear for
"being no longer a man." Ears, writes Solomon are a symbol of the male
genitals.  Hm.

>And I have read Solomon's book and didn't pick up the dreaded Freud
>disease, either.

Good for you. Congratulations.

>Besides, he and his brother and their Vanguard label produced some
>wonderful recordings, which didn't sound at all Freudian.

That should be applauded, but what on earth has this to do with his
writings? Let's judge the releases by themselves without mixing it up
with the writings, OK?

Joyce Maier
www.ademu.com/Beethoven