From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:41:11 -0700
Regarding Naxos, I must tell you that I recently came out to my elitist
friends, (ie, let them know that I keep some Naxos in my collection), and
thankfully I was told that it was cool and that they would still hang
around me.

It wasn't as if I had planned on telling my guest during that night's
dinner party. (I usually pull all the Naxos out of my collection ahead of
time.) What happened, to my horror, is that one of them found a
particularly embarrassing release, (Copland performed by the NAS--Northern
Arctic Sinfonietta), that I didn't quite push under the couch far enough.

I frantically tried to kick it back under while directing everyone's
attention to my miniature busts of Elliot Carter and Milton Babbitt.  (Part
of the Franklin Mint's Modern American Composers Series--next month is Joan
Tower!)

One of my worst friends took full advantage: "I saw it!"

"Saw what?"  I said. "Surely not the picture!"  (my thumb covered the
artwork completely)

"No--the 15 digit catalog number!"  "That's a Naxos!"

I didn't know what to say.  In the shock of the moment someone had dropped
Milton, who hit the floor and shattered into 12 incomprehensible pieces,
and while moving my stack of Gramophone magazines aside to clean up the
mess, my mother found a "Classic CD" magazine that I had hidden between
them--the feature article dog-leafed: "Choosing the best 1812 Overture."
I knew I had to come clean this time....

Anyway, be brave, be strong--I should shared this a long time ago.

John Smyth (I hope you will still talk to me)