From:
Kim Patrick Clow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 12:37:47 -0400
I just purchased a copy of the Four Seasons as performed by Europa
Gallante (http://www.virginclassics.com/vclass-docs/cimento_rh.html).
The only reason I really purchased this was the sticker on the CD set
that said this was the first performance based on Vivaldi's manuscripts
and not the published edition.

Overall, I like this recording.  BUT, I couldn't help but think while
listening to the skyrocket fast tempos, did these pieces ever get played
at such fast tempi? You could make an arguement that during the early
18th century there were violinists (like Vivaldi) that were extraordinary
talents.  But there are sections of these concerti in the recording where
the entire ensemble is just lightning fast.  Bear in mind, Mozart only
40 years later was having a difficult time having his music performed in
Vienna, and Beethoven couldn't get his cantata for the death of Joseph II
performed because of the difficult nature of the score.  Now either musical
performance skills went from excellent to poor then back to excellent from
the time of Vivaldi to Beethoven OR there was a continual line of
improvement.

I don't want to start a thread on the debate about period instruments and
modern instruments, but am just raising a point that I thought of while
hearing these works so excellently performed.  The 2 CD is sold at the
price of one, so it is a good value if you don't already have a recording
and are new to classical music, or just a rabid Vivaldi fan (like me).

Thank you

Kim Patrick Clow