From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 13:33:41 -0400
Stuart Sinclair wrote:

>...Have not heard much of Walton before

You lucky @#$%!  ...all those treats yet to savour.  From your posting
about McDowell, I see you're familiar with Naxos.  Well, you needn't
stray much farther in search of top-flight renderings of some of the
century's best music, imo.

8.554325 has both his Violin and Cello Concertos (this last played by Tim
Hugh, in my favourite rendering); 8.553180, his First Symphony and the
Partita, both superb works; and 8.553402 includes the Johannesburg Festival
Overture, his Second Symphony and the Viola Concerto, my favourite Walton
concerto.  (...that or the Cello, I'm not sure which it is this week.)

There's much more where all that came from, though this, to me, is the
cream.  Several of the Chandos recordings are worth having, too.

Bert Bailey