From:
Dan Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:05:43 -0400
Alan Lynn <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I certainly agree.  CD's cost less than $1 to produce.  A coworker
>who plays in a rock band told us the other day that their new album
>will cost them $.87 per CD.  These large record labels can afford to
>lower the costs even further.  It seems to me Naxos is just passing
>on the savings by not charging the exhorbitant prices of other
>labels.  Why pay $17 when the actuall cost of production per CD
>probably doesn't excede $5?

I imagine that that $.87 doesn't include the money spent to actually record
the CD in the first place.  I have very little idea how much it costs to
record a piece of classical music, but my rock band just recorded a CD
which we'll sell at $10, and we probably won't even break even (of course,
I imagine we will sell fewer copies at shows and local record stores than
a national label does - though I do hear anecdotes of amazingly low sales
numbers for many classical CDs).

Dan Schmidt -> [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]