From:
John Polifronio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:28:31 -0800
Good question.  It's difficult to say, because like so many things that go
on the art world, it's a matter of perceptions, aesthetic judgments and the
like.  I believe most people in music take it for granted that the German
style of music composition from Bach through Brahms set the standard for
gravitas.  I said that I didn't think it kept me from calling Dvorak a
genius.  But as someone once said, Michelangelo was in the highest category
of genius, implying that genius is also a matter of degree, and opinion.

The Dvorak 7th sym.  is often said to be "Brahmsian;" what do you take that
to mean? I take it to mean that it's thought to have greater weight than
his 6th or 8th symphonies.  But now you can ask me what "weight' means.
I'm sure you'll agree that, assuming these words have any meaning at all,
it's impossible to answer your question definitively or unambiguously.

Frankly, I don't care if a composer's music can be characterized as
having weightiness or gravitas.  I can't recover the wonderful and blissful
ignorance and indifference to the opinions of the cognoscenti in the wider
musical world that I experienced when I was new to classical music in my
early teens.  Dukas and Bach, Beethoven and Gershwin were composers,
period.  It didn't occur to me to ask if one was better than another.  I
love the music of Berlioz, and I don't give a damn whether it's "as good
as" Schubert or Mozart in someone's mind.

I've heard most of the 7ths you listed; but I wish there was a Susskind
recording, I thought him a fine conductor at times.

Cheers
John P.