From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:53:41 -0700
Steve Schwartz:

>...The only Seventh I like
> better than Szell's is, again, Kleiber's, but that preference comes down
> to my personal vagaries rather than to an ontological difference in
> quality. ..

Na ja, but it strikes me that a conductor's role has to do with
epistemology rather than ontology --not what do we know?, but how do we
know it?.  Consider this objection merely a clarion call for attention
to my contention that Steve's treated us to a great piece of writing on
music.  [Oh, and his Cleveland performed in the pit in Salzburg during
this year's Salzburg festival.  At least as good as the usual Vienna
performance--and cheaper for the front office, considering the dollar/euro
exchange rate.]

Denis Fodor