From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:02:02 -0700
There's been recent traffic on the list regarding the disappearance of
classical programming from local radio stations -- in particular here in
the metro Washington, DC area.  I can sympathise with this -- I too am
now reduced to one station (WGMS) which programs my kind of music -- plus
commercials and 'cutesie' gratuitous commentary which does much to detract
from my enjoyment.

But America's love affair with the motorcar may yet provide the solution!
Since 70% of radio listening is apparently done outside the home (mostly
in vehicles in motion) and since most locales in the US lack a dedicated
classical music station, a story in today's Wall Street Journal may give
rise to a little hope.

Both Ford and General Motors have recently announced agreements with
fledgling satellite radio companies to provide coast-to-coast radio
coverage direct to in-vehicle equipment which will be factory-installed.
Offering upwards of 100 channels with CD-quality sound, commercial-free
entertainment or talk shows, one presumes (too naively, perhaps) that
classical music may well be one (or more) of the options on offer.  The
downside, of course, is that this is Radio Fee America -- currently
anticpated charges run at about $9.95/month, but I suspect this may well
reduce in the future in the same way as Internet access charges have over
the last couple of years.

Not a panacaea by any stretch of the imagination -- but worthy of some
consideration, I think.  Maybe even worthy of bringing a little public
comment and pressure to bear on those who will determine the
program/channel mix.

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA